Loading, Please Wait...
Springfield, Ill., Oct. 13, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- You may hit the road to enjoy a little time away or maybe to take in a car race or football game. If you are traveling there in an RV or converted bus, keep in mind using generators to power them can turn deadly.
The CDC estimates at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and some of those occur in RVs, campers, trailers and converted buses.
“Although many people are aware carbon monoxide poisoning can occur in homes, they may not stop to consider it can happen in any enclosed space,” said Molly Hall, executive director of Safe Electricity, “including a zipped tent, recreational vehicle or converted bus.”
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when fuel is burned. Along with generators, devices or appliances that produce the invisible gas include vehicles, small engines, grills, fireplaces, camping stoves, gas ranges and furnaces. CO can build up indoors or in any enclosed space and it poisons people or animals who breathe it in.
In 2018, one racing fan died and another was hospitalized after they were exposed to CO in a converted bus at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. The CO poisoning was caused by a gasoline-powered generator that was not properly ventilated.
Safe Electricity provides these tips to keep in mind while enjoying your RV or other mobile digs, whether your generator was factory installed or you are using a portable one:
Symptoms of CO poisoning include but are not limited to nausea, dizziness, vomiting, intense headache, sleepiness and grogginess/inability to think coherently. For more information about electrical safety, visit SafeElectricity.org.
Ann Augspurger Energy Education Council - Safe Electricity 217-546-6815 email@example.com